How to apply
Applications for 2020 are now closed. Applications for 2021 will open December, 2020.
Please review eligibility criteria below before submitting your application.
Required Application Materials
- Personal statement
- Unofficial transcript
- Two references (at least one of these must be from a faculty member at student’s current institution)
- Sophomore, junior or senior continuing undergraduate studies in Fall 2020
- Students who attend universities with limited research opportunities in STEM and/or are from backgrounds underrepresented in the STEM fields, including underrepresented minority students, students from economically disadvantaged and underserved backgrounds and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Pursuing a major in engineering, mathematics or physical and life science (physics, chemistry or biology)
- Students must be a citizen or noncitizen national of the United States or an individual who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States.
Participation in the Leadership Alliance
Washington University is a member of the Leadership Alliance. Applicants from underrepresented backgrounds including Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander can apply for membership by applying to the Leadership Alliance Summer Early Identification Research Program by February 1, 2020. Membership provides access to resources for applying to graduate school, networking, and funds students to present their research and attend workshops at the the Leadership Alliance National Research Symposium in Hartford, Connecticut at the end of July. When applying, select the Washington University Summer Engineering Fellowship.